We have returned from our former home to our new home. The break was long and quite nice, almost the perfect number of days. We spent a lot of time with family and a little time with a lot of friends.
Here are a few highlights (starting with a non-highlight) from our trip.
1. We ran into terrible weather on our trip home. What should have been an 18 hour trip plus stops turned into nearly 27 hours, including 2.5 of sleep stops. We won’t make that trip again in the winter!
2. We ate lunch on Christmas Eve at Baja Burrito. Due to their extremely long holiday closure, that was the only meal of our entire visit that they were open. Glad I called ahead. Long live pineapple salsa.
3. We spent a lovely Christmas Eve with my family, eating at Finezza and exchanging gifts. Christmas brunch with my extended family and a somewhat polite game of dirty Santa rounded out the festivities on Christmas day. I can’t number how many failures to take pictures this makes for us.
4. We went to Birmingham and had a couple of nice relaxing days with Joel’s parents. Although better than my family’s event, we only managed to take approximately one picture.
5. We spent most not-previously-committed breakfasts, lunches, and dinners catching up with friends. (Williamses, Harrises, Wrights, Mankins/Smiths/Huffards for Joseph’s birthday, Otts, Joel’s old coworkers, Duty, Baxters, Youngs, Brittney, andÂ Brad. Phew!)
6. We saw even more friends at the nice potluck Duty hosted on New Years’ Eve. We were the old, boring, married people who weren’t feeling the next party (so stereotypical, right?), so we finished the night with a movie since some other plans didn’t work out.
7. A celebration with my mom’s side of the family on New Years’ Day, minus my traveling brother, was the final event.
8. We had great weather on the drive home and had a much needed, fun visit with the Mortons in Newton, KS.
We are really thankful that Joel got so much time off of work so we could make the trip!
27 hours?! Woah! I was displeased that our 9.5 hour drive had turned into 11 hours, but you definitely win (in losing). Sounds like you had a nice, busy holiday!
Comments are closed.